Thursday, August 03, 2006

I got referred

To a gynaecologist - FINALLY!

He knew nothing, this man of a physician.

Each time I see him - which is not often, like once every 3 weeks, he tells me what week I'm in (duh, so medical), tells me I'm putting on weight (genius!), then tells me baby's kicking an awful lot (as opposed to my stomache growling? ha.).

Then I ask him about spina bifida and whether my initial scan showed enough for him to conclude that I am excluded from that risk. No, he said. Your initial scan didn't and couldn't show it - too early. Then, shouldn't I be sent for another scan before it's too late? If detected early, there's the option of foetal surgery available to alleviate the brain damage that it could cause (at 24 weeks to be exact is ideal).

No, he says. A normal scan is no good. A CT scan is, though, but the radiation of a CT scan is too harmful to a feotus. Oh. So suffering spina bifida throughout his life (IF he survives it at all) is a lesser harm, hm. In fact, he says confidently, your baby could be suffering from a whole hosts of things we could never tell...who'd know until he's born?

You get my drift.

Needless to say, I made sure his confidence faltered big time after making that bold, stupid statement.

So now I get to see a real doctor. I'm still optimistic that SOMEone in this British Columbia place may know what he's doing/saying.

6 Comments:

Blogger HairyDonut said...

Good grief. What kind of kok advice is that. It's like he just wants to get rid of you so that he can go out to lunch or something.

All this 'he' references make me wonder if you know already that it's a boy. What's the name? Don't forget. 2 'n's, 1 'f'.

11:36 PM  
Blogger gremlin said...

no, "he" is usually used when gender isn't known or with reference to either, wat. I dunno wat you're talking about 2 'n's etc. dun forget my hormones kill my brain cells. yeah, he went for lunch soon after. pig. today (groan) sat in the lab for 3 hours for 4 tubes of blood extractions. can you believe it. never heard of it before.

1:01 PM  
Blogger HairyDonut said...

I'M TRYING TO SAY THAT YOU CAN NAME 'HIM' AFTER ME. Good grief.

WTF are they looking for with 4 tubes of blood? All these labs on TV doing miracles with 1 or 2 drops of blood, and here they are extracting 4 tubes? What is it, not enough blood donors in Vancouver, they have to trick all the pregnant women into topping up?

8:25 PM  
Blogger gremlin said...

oh ya bloody hell. now you got me riled up. and my inner arms are all bruised, how about that? crazy right? so I wasn't imagining the pain when they inserted the needles - all 4 of them at 1 hour intervals. archaic. maybe just stoopid. free lor. that's the catch.

11:48 PM  
Blogger HairyDonut said...

Ok. So like it's free which is great. But does that also mean if you pay someone a little bit, you'll get phenomenal service and spare yourself all this weird treatment?

9:46 AM  
Blogger gremlin said...

it's not legal. the government pays the doctors based on a per visit/consultation system. there's is no real concept of private here.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home